With the colder weather coming and being pregnant with a baby in the oven, all I want to do with my free time is cook and try all kinds of new recipes. I thought I would share a couple of my new favourites that are easy to make, healthy and taste delicious!
- Hearty Chicken and Rice Soup
10 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrots
1/4 cup sliced parsley
12/ tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
3/4 lb of chicken, cut into cubes
2 cups cooked rice
2 tbsp lime juice
Prep 20 min, Cook 25 min, Ready in 45 min
Combine chicken broth, onion, celery, carrots, parsley, pepper, thyme and bay leaf in a Dutch oven (or large pot), bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until the onion and celery begin to soften, 10-15 minutes. Stir chicken into the simmering broth; cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, 5-10 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir rice and lime juice into broth; cook and stir just until rice is hot and grains seperate, about 1 minute.
2. Beef Stew
1 slice bacon
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/12 lbs or beef chunks
2 cups low sodium beef stock
1 cup dry red/burgundy wine
4 carrots, cut into chunks
1 lb potatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, cut into chunks
1 tsp dried marjoram
3/4 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
Prep 20 min, Cook 1 hr 40 min, Ready in 2 hrs
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel, retaining drippings in skillet. Pour olive oil into reserved bacon drippings.
- Pour flour into a large sealable plastic bag, add the beef, seal and shake to coat meat with flour. Cook and stir beef in the bacon drippings mixture until browned on all sides, 7-10 minutes.
- Crumble the bacon and add to the skillet. Pour beef stock and wine over the beef mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, garlic, onion, marjoram, thyme and salt and pepper into the beef mixture; continue cooking at a simmer until the vegetable are tender, 20-30 minutes.
3 Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 bone in, skin on chicken breasts
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, brown sugar and garlic; set aside.
2. Season chicken breasts with basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place chicken breasts into 6 qt crockpot. Stir in balsamic vinegar mixture. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours, reaching an internal temperate of 165F.
4. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley if desired *
*I usually serve this with grilled veggies or a big salad. My husband likes to have rice with his…
I always love cooking in bulk so that I have a few meals ready my husband and I for the week. Give these a try and let me know what you think. I am always looking for new recipes so please share some of your (easy to make) favourites.