Yep last week was a tough week for me. I won’t go into detail because to be honest it’s in the past but let’s just say I am back and feeling stronger, focused and more positive than ever!
My fitness goal for 2013 as many of you know is to compete in a figure competition with the WBFF in Montreal in April. Only 19 weeks to go! That means after Christmas there will be 16 weeks left=CRUNCH TIME! My goal for this competition is to bring my best physique to the stage 🙂 Can’t wait to see the end result. It’s going to be a lot of hard work, sticking to a strict diet and training regime and saying no to a lot of social gatherings but I know it will be worth it in the end. I’ve done it before so I know I can do it. What I’m most excited about is to see two of my clients step on stage for the first time EVER! It’s going to be a memorable day for all of us!
So what do I do when I am having a down day or feeling blue? Here are a few simple things I do to stay positive when I’m feeling down…
1. Write a list! Write a list of things you are grateful for, or write a to-do list. Start simply by picking up a piece of paper and a pen, and making a list of all the things you are grateful for or the most important things you have to do. Sometimes it’s work stuff, sometimes it’s stuff around the house that’s bothering us, sometimes it’s goals, or a combination of these and more. Simply making a list can be a big relief — you’re getting things under control. You can see, right in front of you, what you need to do, and that alone can pick up your mood.
2. Call a family member or a close friend. Got a significant other, best friend, family member, co-worker you can talk to? Talk to them! That’s what they’re there for. Hopefully your friend or family member is positive and can encourage you, not bring you down. Getting things off your chest makes a big difference, and can be a huge lift. It can also help you work out the reasons you’re feeling down in the first place.
3. Do something productive! Take action. You’ve made a list, and you still feel overwhelmed? Well, get started on the first thing you need to do. Is it a big task? Break it down and just do the smallest task, something just to get you started. Once you get started, once you get into action, you’ll feel better. Trust me. You might still feel overwhelmed, but at least you’re doing something. And once you start doing something, you’ve got momentum, and that feels much better than lying around feeling sorry for yourself.
4. Workout! I don’t think this one needs explanation. I don’t know about you but a workout of any kind always puts me in a better mood. Go for a walk, running, lifting weights or a yoga class always cheers me up 🙂
5. Shower and make yourself look good. Nothing makes me feel better than taking the time to blow dry and style my hair and put on some make up (sorry guys, maybe try shaving to cheer up?). Try it next time you’re feeling blah, it always works for me!
6. Play some music that pumps you up. Yep, and have a dance party in your bedroom or living room! Dance like no one is watching….another guaranteed way to boost your mood!
7. Realize that you can find opportunities in negative situations. Albert Einstein said: “In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.” (thanks Dad for introducing me to this quote many years ago! It is one I’ll never forget!)
8. Take a deep breath! Everything will be ok 🙂 And always remember…
What are your strategies for lifting your spirits when you’re feeling down or having a bad day? Please share below 🙂